JUST THE FAQs
Here’s where you’ll find the answers to those burning questions about Minnesota Nice Spice, our spice blends, spices in general, and the meaning of life.
Well, we’ll leave “the meaning of life” up to you…but we have to say that we think Minnesota Nice Spice Seasoning Blends sure do add a little zing (and meaning) to everyone’s life!
Be sure to stop back periodically, as we add your most asked questions, along with our answers, as we receive them.
1) How long will Minnesota Nice Spice Seasoning Blends last when opened?
Typically, our Minnesota Nice Spice Seasoning Blends will last up to one year when stored in a cool, dry place after opening. Our blends should look vibrant and fresh and be very aromatic upon opening for the first time. Although, if you’re like us, we’re fairly certain that you’ll enjoy our seasoning blends long before they start to fade.
2) Why does Minnesota Nice Spice choose organic spices for its seasoning blends?
Well, it’s pretty simple really. We believe that organically grown herbs and spices not only taste wonderful, but they also support a healthy eco-system and a healthier you since they are grown without pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers.
Here’s a list of 10 more reasons to choose organic from the Organic Trade Association:
10 Good Reasons To Go Organic
Courtesy of the Organic Trade Association
1. Organic products meet stringent standards. Organic certification is the public’s assurance that products have been grown and handled according to strict procedures without persistent toxic chemical inputs.
2. Organic food tastes great! It’s common sense — well-balanced soils produce strong, healthy plants that become nourishing food for people and animals.
3. Organic production reduces health risks. Many EPA-approved pesticides were registered long before extensive research linked these chemicals to cancer and other diseases. Organic agriculture is one way to prevent any more of these chemicals from getting into the air, earth and water that sustain us.
4. Organic farms respect our water resources. The elimination of polluting chemicals and nitrogen leaching, done in combination with soil building, protects and conserves water resources.
5. Organic farmers build healthy soil. Soil is the foundation of the food chain. The primary focus of organic farming is to use practices that build healthy soils.
6. Organic farmers work in harmony with nature. Organic agricultural respects the balance demanded of a healthy ecosystem: wildlife is encouraged by including forage crops in rotation and by retaining fence rows, wetlands, and other natural areas.
7. Organic producers are leaders in innovative research. Organic farmers have led the way, largely at their own expense, with innovative on-farm research aimed at reducing pesticide use and minimizing agriculture’s impact on the environment.
8. Organic producers strive to preserve diversity. The lessening of our biodiversity through the loss of a large variety of species is one of the most pressing environmental concerns. The good news is that many organic farmers and gardeners have been collecting and preserving seeds, and growing unusual varieties for decades.
9. Organic farming helps keep rural communities healthy. USDA reported that in 1997, half of U.S. farm production came from only 2% of farms. Organic agriculture can be a lifeline for small farms because it offers an alternative market where sellers can command fair prices for crops.
10. Organic abundance – foods and non-foods alike! Now every food category has an organic alternative. And non-food agricultural products are being grown organically — even cotton, which most experts felt could not be grown organically.
3) What is the Interact Center and why does Minnesota Nice Spice support its mission?
The Interact Center is an amazing organization that supports artists with disabilities to “Create Art That Challenges Perceptions of Disability.” Since 1996, the Interact Center has opened the door for artists with disabilities, helping them to grow their talents and share them with an ever-growing audience. These are folks who never thought art could be a life choice, but now see artistic expression as essential to who they are, personally and professionally.
Today, over 125 artists, including my sister Lucy, work in the theater and/or studio expressing their talents, gaining self-confidence and professional accolades for their amazing work. The artists are a diverse group and include artists that range in age from 22 to 94, and represent African-, Native-, Asian- and European-American backgrounds. They span the spectrum from PhD university professors sustaining their creativity in the aftermath of strokes, to talented young adults from high school transition programs who are looking to make their own mark in the arts, to artists who have sustained brain injury, artists on the autism spectrum, artists with Down syndrome, and every label in between.
All artists are paid fees for performances or commissions on the sale of artwork that are comparable to standards of other mid-sized arts organizations.
This is just a taste of who the Interact Center is, but I’m sure you can see why they mean so much to us at Minnesota Nice spice.
Click HERE for more information about the Interact Center and check our website for Interact-sponsored events.
4) Does Minnesota Nice Spice offer any fundraising opportunities?
Yes, we do. We offer our spices at a discounted case price of $60. For more information, click HERE.
5) I’m in charge of buying corporate gifts for my company this year. It seems like Minnesota Nice Spice Seasoning Blends would be perfect for our group. Do you offer any corporate gift ideas?
Yes! Yes! We do corporate gifts of any size or configuration. We can make baskets or gift boxes filled with whatever spice combinations you choose. We’ll even add a few recipes to inspire you! Click HERE for more information.
6) How did you calculate the nutritionals for each blend?
We worked closely with an amazing food scientist from the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI), a wonderful organization that supports the development of of new uses for agricultural products through science and technology, partnering with businesses and entrepreneurs (that’s us!) to bring ideas to reality. We love that they focus on Minnesota-based businesses and provide product development assistance to create more value for the incomparable agricultural products from Minnesota. Yea AURI!